rpath problem

Hi all,

I'm packaging lufis[1], which will allow me to package captive ntfs, and
I've come across an issue with lintian/linda complaining about -rpath

Basically, lufis uses shared libraries from lufs, located
in /usr/lib/lufs/ on debian (from the lufs-utils package). When I build
the upstream source, the lufis binary doesn't know where to find these
shared libraries. In order to tell it where to look, I can either use a
wrapper script (and set LD_LIBRARY_PATH), or send the -rpath option to
the linker.

Lintian/linda complain with the following messages:

W: lufis: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath ./usr/bin/lufis /usr/lib/lufs/
N:
N:   The binary or shared library defines the `RPATH'. Usually this is a
N:   bad thing. Most likely you will find a Makefile with a line like:
N:       gcc test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath
N:   or
N:       gcc test.o -o test -R/usr/local/lib
N:   Please contact debian-devel@lists.debian.org if you have questions
N:   about this.
N:
W: lufis; Binary /usr/bin/lufis compiled with an RPATH
of /usr/lib/lufs/.
 This binary or shared library defines the `RPATH', which is usually a
 bad thing.  Most likely you will find a Makefile with a line like: gcc
 test.o -o test -Wl,--rpath

I'm not sure what to do here[2], should I add an override for this, or
file a bug on lufs-utils?

1. http://bugs.debian.org/322688
2. http://wiki.debian.net/?RpathIssue

--