RFC/RFS: scim 1.2.3-1 -- an input method platform

Hi,

I am the maintainer of package scim, an input method platform.  It
provides input methods for different languages (mainly Chinese, Japanese
and Korean, but other languages are supported as well), and is already
part of Debian (version 1.0.2 is in sarge).  It supports X input method,
as well as the new input method framework in GTK 2 (a separate module
exists for Qt 4 input method framework).

My usual sponsor, Osamu Aoki, has been busy these days and can't do the
sponsor work this time, so I am asking for a sponsor here.  Also since
this package is quite complicated and this upload involves both a new
upstream (with SONAME bump) and the C++ transition, any comments on my
packaging will be appreciated.

The package 1.2.3-1 I've made are at
    http://www.mems.rice.edu/~minghua/debian/
and there is also an extracted directory for anyone who prefer to browse
through.

The package is not lintian or linda clean yet, but I've reviewed the
lintian and linda reports, and I believe none of them are urgent to fix,
if at all.  I've put my analysis at the end of this mail.

Thanks,
Ming
2005.08.07

(lintian) W: scim source: out-of-date-standards-version 3.6.1
    I've not reviewed the changes from 3.6.1 to 3.6.2 yet, and I'll do
    it in following uploads.

(lintian) W: scim-modules-socket: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames socket.so
(lintian) W: scim-gtk2-immodule: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames im-scim.so
(lintian) W: scim: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames
             aaa-imengine-setup.so x11.so frontend-hotkeys-setup.so
             x11-frontend-setup.so simple.so panel-gtk-setup.so
             rawcode.so setup.so
    These are all dynamic loaded plugins, they are in /usr/lib/scim-1.0/
    directory, so nothing is supposed to link to them anyway.  I
    probably should write something to surpress the warnings on these,
    but I don't know how to now, and it's definitely not urgent.

(lintian) W: libscim6c2: package-name-doesnt-match-sonames
             libscim-gtkutils-1.0-6 libscim-1.0-6
    This is intentional.  I don't want to split these two shared
    libraries into two binary packages.  And since there are no 2.0
    version yet, it doesn't make much sense to call it libscim-1.0-6c2.

(lintian) W: scim: binary-without-manpage scim-config-agent
(lintian) W: scim: binary-without-manpage scim-setup
(linda) E: scim; No manual page for binary scim-config-agent.
(linda) E: scim; No manual page for binary scim-setup.
    These are upstream problems.  Osamu and I wrote man page for one
    binary, but not all.  I plan to fix this, but maybe not now.

(linda) W: libscim6c2; The library libscim is not in a shlibs file.
(linda) W: libscim6c2; The library libscim is not in a shlibs file.
    I believe linda is talking about libscim6c2 package conflicting and
    replacing libscim6.  libscim6 was never in official Debian, but I
    used it for some g++ 3.3 compiled unofficial packages, so I feel
    necessary to change the binary package name anyway.  It also helps
    backporting to sarge (since I'll use libscim6 for backport).

(linda) W: scim-modules-socket; Long descriptions contains short description.
    The short description is "socket modules for SCIM", and it's part of
    a sentence in the long description.  I think it's okay.