Re: Can I simulate a weak conflict?

skaller wrote:

> The problem is that you CAN install a package B which declares a
> conflict with A, and then install A, which does not declare the
> conflict. The conflict exists, nevertheless.

This isn't true.  If B is installed and B declares "Conflicts: A" then
dpkg will refuse to install package A unless package B is removed.

(Looking at the earlier messages in this thread, I think a
misunderstanding caused other posters to lead you to this conclusion.)

> Again note my assumption that 'confliction' relation
> is symmetric: it is indeed intended to mean 'mutual exclusion'.

Yes, that is how it is intended, and that is how it is implemented.

"When one binary package declares a conflict with another using a
Conflicts field, dpkg will refuse to allow them to be installed on the
system at the same time" (Debian Policy 7.3).

You can test this yourself to see that it works correctly.  For example,
try to install "cfengine2" (Conflicts: cfengine) and then "cfengine".