Re: Display upgrade note

On 7/25/05, Roland Gruber <gruberr@in.tum.de> wrote:

> I want to display a message to the user via debconf. The message should
> only appear if the user upgrades from a version below a special value
> (0.5.0 in my case).

> Is there a standard way to get the old package version and compare it to
> the new one?

As shown in the Upgrading diagram I made some time ago [1], and also,
as it is explained in the Debian Policy [2], when doing an upgrade,
the maintainer scripts are called with a second parameter that
indicates the package version.

This is to say, your postinst script will be called like:

   postinst configure 0.5.0

You can use that param to compare it to what you need.

[1]: http://women.alioth.debian.org/wiki/index.php/English/MaintainerScripts
[2]: http://www.debian.org/doc/debian-policy/ch-maintainerscripts.html#s-mscriptsinstact

--
Besos,