Re: should I create both static and shared libraries manually?

On Tue, Jul 05, 2005 at 12:54:11PM -0400, kamaraju kusumanchi wrote:
> I am reading
> http://www.netfort.gr.jp/~dancer/column/libpkg-guide/libpkg-guide.html#staticonlylibs
> in order to package a library. That document suggests to provide both
> static and shared library packages.
Yes; the static library should be provided by the -dev package.  I
think you can leave it out for now, and provide it later, without any
problems.  Then, the -dev package will be just the linker symlink
libfoo.so (plus some overhead in /usr/share/).

> I am thinking of packaging fortranposix library. The upstream provides a
> makefile which creates only the shared library. Now my question is
>
> 1) Should I edit the make file to create a static library as well?
Eventually, you should probably do that.

> 2) Is there any other way/tool to generate a static library
> automatically without editing the makefile?
Don't think so; libtool might do it, but I don't know anything about
that.  Editing the makefile shouldn't be a big deal, though.  Remember
that all the files need to be recompiled; PIC is required for shared
libraries, and prohibited for static ones.

Justin