Re: debian/rules: Moving to debhelper or cdbs

On 20050517T120043-0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho wrote:
> > If I were to receive a bug report, say wishlist severity, containing a
> > patch that rewrites one of my packages' debian/rules to use debhelper, I
> > would be very upset: it would feel like an insult toward my style of
> > packaging.
>
> You need to grow a thicker skin. By your reasoning, any substantial
> patch or code review is a personal attack; that is not an attitude that
> is conducive to evolving good code.

Thank you for your strawman argument.

As I said, if the patch makes an substantial improvement, one that is
not just a matter of style, I am not offended.  In fact, such patches I
welcome.  A rewrite of debian/rules that does not change its
functionality, just to make it deblelperized, for example, does not
usually fall in that category.

--
Antti-Juhani Kaijanaho, Debian developer

http://kaijanaho.info/antti-juhani/blog/en/debian