should I talk to upstream?

I intend to package a project called "argtable", mostly because I want to use it in my own package, rsyncrypto, in order to make it less Linux specific. There are two issues that come to mind: 1. The source directory naming of upstream is "argtable2", instead of the expected "argtable-2.4". 2. The author seems to keep the "1" series version around, since version 2 introduced some incompatibilities.

I intend to ignore the second problem, so that if it ever comes up we can call the other argtable "argtable1". What should I do about the first problem, though? Should I repackage the original source (and remove on of the examples compiled for FreeBSD left behind in it, while at it). Should I use the original source package as is? Should I contact upstream and ask him to change the way he names the directories?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

A few URLs:
Package homepage: http://argtable.sourceforge.net/
I'm still waiting for the ITP tracking number to come through.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.