Re: Policy about command names

On Fri, Apr 22, 2005 at 12:39:15PM -0300, Lucas Di Pentima wrote:
> Hi there,

Hello.

> I'm packaging ZABBIX (http://www.zabbix.com), a resource monitor &
> agent. The original programs in the upstream source tgz file are
> generated with names like this:
>
> * zabbix_agent
> * zabbix_agentd
> * zabbix_server
>
> ..etc...
>
> I've read somewhere (I think a package's changelog) that the name
> "like_this" was changed to "like-this" because of the Debian policy...so
> I've searched for this detail on the website but didn't found anything
> about that. Is it truth that programs shouldn't have the underscore on
> their names? I don't remember any command to have it anyways :-)

(fenio@domek)~$ls /usr/bin/* | grep _ | wc -l
71
(fenio@domek)~$

That's my fresh installation (I'm during migration to new box).
Please DON'T rename binaries names. It only confuses users and often makes
examples in documentation not working.

regards
fEnIo

--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland