Re: Updates to d-mentors FAQ

Matthew Palmer <mpalmer@debian.org> wrote:

> In preference to doing work, I've added an extra section to d-mentors FAQ
> entitled "For Sponsors".  Comments / improvements appreciated.
>
> http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
>
> - Matt

I know you posted this several weeks ago, but I'm only now finally
having time to look at it.  I saved it with "important messages I need
to get to sometime." :-)

If you think it's appropriate, I'd suggest some tips for sponsors
about how to build and upload someone else's package in a fashion that
doesn't make katie think it's a mislabeled NMU.  This happened to me a
twice when I had packages sponsored.  I also had a case of a sponsor
trying to upload my .dsc file which got rejected because the key
wasn't in the keyring.  In at least one case, the package was
sponsored by a relatively new DD who had never sponsored before.  (I
have yet to sponsor a package for someone else.)

I think the only thing required for the sponsor is to use the -k flag
to dpkg-buildpackage (or whatever front end is being used) to get
his/her own key to be used to sign the packages, or to build with -uc
-us and then sign with debsign.  Is this correct?  I think some people
may accidentally use -m instead.  Not having done this, I could be
confused, hence my desire to see this information added to your NM
page.

Also, I would concur with the other respondent who mentioned that your
writing is clear and informative.  When I was just getting started,
this was one of the most helpful things I read.

--
Jay Berkenbilt <qjb@debian.org>