Re: debian directory included in upstream

Miriam> Hi, The author of one of the packages I was packaging for my own
Miriam> use has asked me to be the maintainer of the debian's
Miriam> package. The problem that I found is that in latest versions he
Miriam> includes his own version of debian's directory inside the
Miriam> original tar.gz file as you download it from the web.

I have an upstream who did that -- he took my debian directory, and
stuck it in his source tree, and he syncs once in a while.  I just
maintain as I normally do, and the diff file includes a diff of my
debian directory against upstream's.

The success of such an approach will depend on how much your upstream's
debian directory differs from your own.  In my own case, since my
upstream uses my debian directory, it isn't very problematic; the diff
usually just adds a few lines to the changelog, so it's a pretty clean
diff.  If your upstream absolutely insists on including a debian
directory, you can ask that he uses your debian directory instead of
using his own.  Since he has asked you to be the Debian maintainer, I
assume that shouldn't be much of a problem.

Miriam> Quoting him: "The reason I added debian subdirectory is to
Miriam> distribute it with the source files."

You can then ask him why he needs/wants to distribute it with the source
files.

--
Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA