Re: debian directory included in upstream

On Tue, 2005-04-12 at 20:44 +0200, Miriam Ruiz wrote:
> Hi,
>
> The author of one of the packages I was packaging for
> my own use has asked me to be the maintainer of the
> debian's package. The problem that I found is that in
> latest versions he includes his own version of
> debian's directory inside the original tar.gz file as
> you download it from the web.
>
> I've tried to explain to him the reasons behind doing
> it the proper way, with a diff file, but I don't think
> I was able to do that too well. Quoting him: "The
> reason I added debian subdirectory is to distribute it
> with the source files."
>
> Any suggestions on how to deal with that?

You could explain that distributing the debian dir in this way is
problematic because the debian files in the release will never be
up-to-date with respect to the release as you change things and
increment the debian revision. And the author isn't going to make a new
release for each debian revision.

In addition it makes your job harder because you are patching against an
out of date debian dir in the release. And it causes confusion for
others trying to build a deb who end up using out of date files in the
release (I have experienced this).

For one program I package upstream was anxious to have the debian dir in
CVS, but I was able to convince them to exclude it from the releases for
these reasons.

Steve