Re: Splitting package

On Wed, Apr 06, 2005 at 04:26:06PM +0530, Kapil Hari Paranjape wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am currently the maintainer (non-DD) of tex4ht. This package consists of
> only two (!) compiled executables and a large number of Arch: all files.
>
> At least in etch I would like to split this package as suggested in best
> packaging practice (Debian Ref). But that location gives hints about new
> packages but not about how to handle the upgrade issues. Any place where
> I can find some hints on that? Or anyone with prior experience on this
> who has the time to drop me some hints? All suggestions accepted
> gratefully :-)
Hi,

I think the question you ask is answered here:
http://lists.debian.org/debian-mentors/2004/12/msg00232.html

"Upgrade issues"?  Just have one of the existing packages "become" an
transitional package depending on the packages which are split from
it.

Any other "upgrade issues" should probably be handled by the maint
scripts.  (For example database schema changes).  But that's
independent of splitting the package.

Cheers,
Justin