Re: Splitting package

Benjamin Cutler wrote:

The debian/control file should look something like:

Package: foo-common
Conflicts: foo (<< 7.6.5-2)
Replaces: foo (<< 7.6.5-2)

Why the "Replaces"? I would have expected that would only be necessary if there was no longer any "foo" package.

Whether you use <= or << is mostly a matter of taste, but make sure you understand the difference, of course. ;)

Using << is good because it means we can post fixes to the old package (7.6.5-1.1), and it would still be in the correct rule. Why would I want to use <=?

      Shachar
Who has nothing at all to do with either the original question or the problem, but is interested in the reasoning non the less.

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.