Re: A couple of questions

Florent Rougon wrote:

Shachar Shemesh <debian@shemesh.biz> wrote:

After your explanation, the only thing I still have doubts over is
whether the files should not go into /var/cache instead.

Erm, which files?

During the process files are encrypted. Their key is stored under /var/lib/name, and the encrypted files themselves are stored under /var/spool/name. The key is used to perform repeatable encryption on the same files in the future, but the encrypted files are only used in order to rsync to another machine for backup. The save on performance, because if a file didn't change, it will not be re-encrypted, but they are, in theory, reproducible from the available data.

The slight dilemma is whether /var/cache or /var/spool would be a better choice. I'm leaning towards spool, as they tend to be big, and it would really be better not to erase them.

         Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.