Create user during installation

Hi all,

This question is about a package that will likely not make it into Debian (too specific). I even suspect this has some relevance.

I would like to install a package that creates it's own special user and group during installation. I have utterly and totally failed to find a ready made package that does that, with the sole exception of qmail-src (from non-free) that creates them in the 655xx area. Not exactly what I would like to do.

How do I create said user and group? How do I tell between useradd or adduser failing due to user already existing, and other unrelated reasons? Do I at all need to care about that?

Help would be greatly appreciated.

            Shachar

--
Shachar Shemesh