Re: subscribe

On Wed, Mar 16, 2005 at 03:33:29PM +0100, Nico Golde wrote:
> Hello Chris,
>
> * Chris Vanden Berghe <vbc@zurich.ibm.com> [2005-03-16 15:07]:
> > Would it actually be difficult to filter out these (un)subscribe requests
> > to the mailing lists (instead of the -REQUEST address)?
> >
> > It certainly seems to be a common problem... I get a couple of these
> > messages every week over all the mailings list to which I'm subscribed.
>
> I thought about the same today :)
> I have no experiences with the machines of lists.d.o
> what about filtering this kind of mail and give them a
> bounce with the context:
> "If you want to subscribe to a debian mailinglist please you
> the listname-request@lists.debian.org address instead of
> listname@lists.debian.org"
> ?

That is a technical solution.
It forgets that is has to deal with people.

My approach is to simple ignore subscribe request to mailing lists.
When the potential new subscriber doesn't understand how to subscriber
to proper way, then I don't wanna have then on the mailinglist.
Yes, that sounds harsh. But rewarding stupid things is very stupid.

When I see unsubscribe requests on a ML, then I reply off-list.

The whole idea is that when you say "Don't touch it, it is HOT!"
there will allways some who _have_ to try.

Cheers
Geert Stappers