Re: Updates to d-mentors FAQ

On Fri, Mar 25, 2005 at 09:48:00PM -0400, Bruno Barrera C. wrote:
> On Fri, 2005-03-25 at 16:56 +1100, Matthew Palmer wrote:
> > In preference to doing work, I've added an extra section to d-mentors FAQ
> > entitled "For Sponsors".  Comments / improvements appreciated.
> >
> > http://people.debian.org/~mpalmer/debian-mentors_FAQ.html
> >
> > - Matt
>
> "4. Decide whether you want to become a DD and do more work for Debian.
> If not, just continue with (3)."
>
> Sometime ago, when I wasn't a DD, a DD wrote me:
>
> "Besides, I didn't find you in the Debian Developer and Applicant lists.
> You will either have to apply as Debian Developer or the package should
> be maintained by someone else (or removed from the archive)."

As far as I am aware, there is no requirement that you ever consider going
through NM and becoming a DD in order to maintain a package in Debian.  It
*is* a more precarious existence, and some sponsors (such as myself) may
choose not to sponsor packages from people not intending to become DDs, but
if there is a requirement to eventually become a DD, I am not aware of it,
and goes against my understanding of how things should work.

If you don't mind me asking, who was it who told you that you needed to
become a DD?

- Matt