Re: reassigning bugs

On Thu, Mar 24, 2005 at 05:54:36PM +0100, Arjan Oosting wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have packaged gaim-extendedprefs and yesterday I received a bugreport
> [1]. After looking at the code in the package, I believe the bug is not
> in gaim-extendedprefs but rather an interaction bug between gtk+2.0 and
> sawfish. I am not very familiar with sawfish and libgtk2.0 so I cannot
> really see where the problem is.
> I am thinking about reassigning the bug to libgtk2.0-0. Are there any
> guidelines about how to do this? Should I include more info by sending
> an email to 301123@bugs.debian.org?

You should send a message like this to control@, Ccing
libgtk2.0-0@packages.debian.org, so the maintainer of the recipient package
gets it:

----8<----

reassign 301123 libgtk2.0-0
thanks

I have spent some time hunting down this bug, and I think it's a bad
interaction between sawfish and libgtk2.0.  I tested this by <blah> and
<blah>, and got the following strace/backtrace output:

<more explanation to follow>

By doing this, you're making as sure as you can that the maintainer of the
package you're reassigning to doesn't think you're just foisting the bug off
onto them because you don't know how to fix it yourself.

And be prepared for a game of bug tennis if the maintainer of libgtk2.0-0
doesn't agree with your analysis... <grin>

- Matt