Re: file permission

Oops, I thought I sent this about 12 hours ago..

On Fri, Mar 18, 2005 at 02:03:09PM +0200, Charles Majola wrote:
> martin f krafft wrote:
>
> >also sprach Charles Majola <charles@hbd.com> [2005.03.18.1202 +0100]:
> >

> >>how does dephelper handle file permissions? issit or to have a
> >>file with +x by defaut before building.  or must it be changed
> >>during or after installation/configuration?
Permissions *may* be stored in the upstream tarball, in which case
they are preserved.  (Execute permission, for example).  But
permissions are not stored in the .diff.gz (they cannot be; its just a
.diff).  ./debian/rules is chmod +x; any other scripts which are run
at compile-time must be called as "sh script" or chmod +x before
running them (unless they are already executable in the upstream
tarball).

> >man dh_fixperms
> >
> >anything else must be done manually. permissions are preserved as
> >installed into debian/<package>
> >
> man dh_fixperms : doesn't say anything about files in /etc/dev.d/block/*;
> postinst is not a good way issit ?
You should make the maintainer scripts as simple as possible.  If the
files need to be owned by someone other than root, then you should
chmod them at compile time (as part of the the "install" rule), if
possible.

If you need to add a user, though, then it is necessary to do so in
postinst, and THEN you can chmod /etc/dev.d/block/*.

Justin