Re: Use "Replaces"?

Thomas Hood <jdthood@aglu.demon.nl> schrieb:

> Original package is foo 1.0.  This is split up into two packages: foo
> 2.0, bar 2.0.
>
>     Package: bar
>     Version: 2.0
>     Conflicts: foo (<< 2.0)
>
> Should bar also have this?:
>
>     Replaces: foo (<< 2.0)

Only if it replaces *files* in foo << 2.0, see
file:///usr/share/doc/debian-policy/policy.html/ch-relationships.html#s-replaces

> Assume that we want foo 1.0 to apt-get upgrade smoothly to foo 2.0 + bar
> 2.0

Then foo_2.0 must depend on bar, in order to pull it in.

> and that we want the user to be able to downgrade easily to foo 1.0.

Downgrades are usually not supported anyway.  With the conflict in bar,
I think dpkg will do the right thing.

Regards, Frank
--
Frank Küster