Re: copyright and license missing?

On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:49:41AM +0000, Qingning Huo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am working on these two packages: libtorrent and rtorrent [1].  There
> are no copyright claims on any source files or README files.  There is
> only an AUTHORS file with the name and email of the author.  On the
> other hand, it is indicated on the website that the software is
> "Licensed under the GPL", but I can find nowhere in the source tarball
> saying so.  There is a COPYING file (GPLv2) though.
>
> Obviously, the author wants the software be released as GPL, so it
> should be DFSG free.  But, he didn't follow the "How to apply" guide of
> GPL.  Are there source tarballs suitable as part of debian source
> packages?  And, how should I write the debian/copyright?

No, they are not.  A statement on a website doesn't mean squat from
a legal perspective.  I suggest you contact the upstream author of
the program and explain to him that he needs to read the "How to apply"
section of the GPL...

Regards: David Weinehall
--
 /) David Weinehall <tao@acc.umu.se> /) Northern lights wander      (\
//  Maintainer of the v2.0 kernel   //  Dance across the winter sky //