Re: Looking for an advocate

Nico Golde wrote:

[...]
It seems that many people don't see this document. Maybe it
would be a good choice to include it as a special part in
the NMG?
Regards Nico
As someone who has only recently tried to scale the "new developer" documentation, I can tell you that there is room for improvement. I have been going over those docs several times in the past few days, and each time I find myself lost in front of a page full of links embedded inside text, looking for the right doc I know is there, because I read it in the past.

The amount of pages one needs to read just in order to find out what it is you need to read is huge. While I am lucky to be fluent enough in English, despite it not being my native tongue, I doubt many non-native English speakers even manage to get to the other end of it to find the debian-mentors list. Personally, I think it's a shame. Then again, I have not (yet, I hope) earned for my key to be placed in the Debian key ring, so one may say I have not earned the right to complain.

I will say this. From reading the email that started this thread, I believe Martin was looking for a sponsor, not an advocate. Basically, he sent the right email to the right list, but mistook one jargon word for another. Frankly, I can empathize with his mistake. After all, I clean forgot to to file an ITP in the BTS for wnpp for my package...

         Shachar

P.S.
For those so versed in the jargon soup that the last sentence did not sound strange to them, it was supposed to be ironic (despite being factually true).

--
Shachar Shemesh
Lingnu Open Source Consulting ltd.