How-do-I make a non-native Debian package?

I wrote my own app and it is debianized already, the way
mplayer already is.  But I mistakenly made it a "native" Debian
package when it is really a tarball and/or a debian package.

There will *never* be a "diff" between "debian" and "upstream"
(I wrote it.)

I can use "make dist" to produce a tarball.  Should I make my
Debian scripts operate on this outputted tarball?

And as a related question, I don't wish to become a Debian Developer,
but this app is at least as good as some of the things in the archive.
I suppose I need a "sponsor."  This is a simple GTK app.
What is the protocol for asking, and would anybody be willing to upload
it for me (once we take a good close look at it.)

This app has already been on Freshmeat/Sourceforge for a year:
http://freshmeat.net/projects/tupim
(new release 1.5 will be on freshmeat tomorrow)
http://projects.sf.net/pim-tb
(1.5 version already up there)