Building packages with epoch

Dear all!

I have a question concerning packages with epoch: We are preparing a NMU
(maintainer approved) for tipa which currently is of version
When I get the source package via apt-get source tipa and rebuild the
package with
	dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc -rfakeroot
I get a binary package called
and not

But the internal version number (in the control file) of the package
is correct, as one can see when calling scanpackages I get a correct
	Package: tipa
	Version: 2:1.2-2

Any suggestions? What is the correct way to build packages with epoch?

Best wishes

Sudden realisation, as you lie in bed waiting for the alarm to go off,
that it should have gone off an hour ago.
			--- Douglas Adams, The Meaning of Liff