Re: RFS: sysinfo -- simple GNU/Linux program that displays computer/system information

Adriaan Peeters wrote:
> On Wed, 2005-12-07 at 10:25 -0500, Justin Pryzby wrote:
>>But there is no rule against .diff fragments outside of ./debian/, and
>>AFAIK its not even strongly recommended; (of course, there are times
>>when it makes perfect sense: when there are many independent
>>Debian-specific changes to upstream source).
>>
>>What is wrong is to have the .diff apply changes to generated code
>>(such as ./Makefile in an autoconfed tree).
>

> Because I run autoconf before packaging, I guess it is not possible to
> use dpatch for my Makefile.am file. And the changes to Makefile.in are
> the result of running autoconf, so using dpatch for that would be really
> wrong.

I find it useful to make a bunch of changes as separate patches in quilt
(substitude dpatch if you prefer), then autoreconf the package and make
the autotoolization be the last patch. That lets me back out all of the
autoreconf so that it doesn't conflict with anything when I upgrade to
the next version.