upstream changed the source tarball name...

So, I've now gotten myself very puzzled.  I'm maintaining a package
called 'acovea' [1] and I'm currently trying to fix an FTBS [2], as
well as bring the package up-to-date with the latest upstream.  Those
are the easy parts.

What's puzzling me is this:

   -- the original source tarball used to be acovea-4.0.0.tar.gz,
      and I used the name acovea_4.0.0.orig.tar.gz, as is proper.

   -- upstream has changed the name of the source tarball so that
      it's now called 'libacovea-5.1.1.tar.gz', implying I should
      use 'libacovea_5.1.1.orig.tar.gz'.

   -- at the same time, the new source (5.1.1) provides the same
      binaries as the old source (4.0.0), PLUS what makes sense
      to package as 'libacovea-5.1-5*deb' (a shared library) and
      'libacovea-dev*deb' (the development files).  Hence, it seems
      to make sense to have the 'debian/control' file create three
      binary packages -- acovea, libacovea, and libacovea-dev.

So, here's the questions:

   -- if I follow the rules, the 'control' file should also now say
      'Source: libacovea', correct?  It seems to make sense that it
      should.

   -- And the 'acovea' binary package now being created should Conflict/
      Replace with older versions, correct?  This also seems to make
      sense.

   -- But, how do I properly inform the ftp masters that the old
      'acovea' source has been replaced by the new 'libacovea' source,
      even though both produce a binary package called 'acovea' (and
      should do so)?  ITP the new stuff and file the bug to remove the
      old?

Googling has not brought me a clear answer; neither has reading and
re-reading Policy and such :(.  The answers are probably staring me
in the face, too....

Thanks in advance for any recommendations.

[1] http://packages.qa.debian.org/a/acovea.html

Ciao,
al
Al Stone                                      Alter Ego:
Open Source and Linux R&D                     Debian Developer
Hewlett-Packard Company                       http://www.debian.org
E-mail: ahs3@fc.hp.com                        ahs3@debian.org