How to create the most compatible package

Hi.

I'm working on a very simple package which, only has compile time dependencies.
I'm currently on debian unstable, with g++-4.0 as my main compiler
(it's a C++ program).

I've succesfully created a package and installed it on another debian
system, however when I go to an Ubuntu system, it seems to needs the
newer libraries (g++-4.0 libraries?)

So my question is:
  How can I create the most compatible package without resorting to source?

Greetings,
  Bram
--
Key fingerprint = CFF9 A55D 6677 7EF2 035D  7695 639D 107C EDB3 D318