Re: RFS: fhist -- File history, comparison and merge utilities

Christopher Schütz <ChristopherSchuetz@web.de> writes:

> Package:	fhist
> Version:	1.15-1
> Author:	Peter Miller
> License:	GPL
> ITA:		279516

>  The fhist package contains 3 utilities
>    fhist - a file history tool
>    fcomp - a file comparison tool
>    fmerge - a file merging tool
>  .
>  All three are bundled together, because they all
>  use the same minimal-difference algorithm.

> Homepage:	http://fhist.sourceforge.net/fhist.html
> Packages:	http://rcswww.urz.tu-dresden.de/~s2055530/fhist/

The address that you use in the changelog file has to be absolutely
identical with the address that you use in debian/control.  You had your
e-mail address in all lowercase in the changelog file, which makes the
Debian software think this was an NMU.

I've gone ahead and fixed that and uploaded the package, since everything
else looked good to me.

One thing to consider for the future, though, is whether it's really
necessary to break the documentation out into a separate package.  I
realize that you're just sticking with the way that fhist was already
packaged, but for 268KB of documentation (compared to a 304KB binary
package), it seems like a waste to me.  Furthermore, some of that size is
the DVI versions of the documentation, which are of marginal utility given
that PostScript is also already included.

It might be a good idea in the next release of the package to just include
the documentation directly in fhist, dropping the fhist-doc package, and
maybe drop the DVI documentation at the same time.  Note that the fhist
package would need to have Replaces for fhist-doc and Conflict with
fhist-doc, and after uploading that package, I believe you'd need to file
a bug with ftp.debian.org to remove the old fhist-doc package.