Re: dpatch & upstream source

On 2 November 2005 09:13, Junichi Uekawa wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > I'm working on some big changes for the new upstream of the erlang
> > packages. The biggest change is that the package is now fully using
> > dpatch, *but*, basing myself on some other package I've seen (coreutils
> > for example), I've put the compressed upstream right in the package.  It
> > is extracted using a dpatch scriptlet.
> >
> > Is it okay to do that, for one thing?
>
> Out of interest, I would be interested in the advantages of having a
> tarball like that.

oh, and it totally helps to keep _all_ changes in check.  If I change anything
outside dpatch-edit-patch, it'll be gone at the next cleaning.

It's a bit of a hassle but since I always feared that a change I've made to
the upstream source could end up silently in the diff and break the build on
some platforms, I think it's a good thing to force myself to go through
dpatch.