Re: Including separately distributed translations in deb

On Wed, 26 Oct 2005 15:18:42 +0200
Torsten Marek <shlomme@gmx.net> wrote:

> I'm the maintainer of eric (eric.sourceforge.net). Upstream
> distributes the translations of eric (de, ru, fr) separately from
> eric, and up to now I've included the compiled message catalogs (qm,
> eric is a PyQt program) into a regenerated orig.tar.gz. Since they
> are binary files, it's not possible to include them into the Debian
> diff. However, I could include the textual translation files (the
> po's, so to say) into the diff.gz and compile them when the package
> is built. Which solution is better? In the first, the orig.tar.gz is
> not "original", in the second the diff.gz get quite big (the
> uncompressed message catalogs are ~700kiB each).

  Assuming those binary translations are arch-independent (which is the
usual case) I'd suggest to make a new package for them with arch
'all' (for example 'eric-i18n'). Is a waste of space and time to
rebuild them every time for all architectures. If upstream provides
them built is even better (package will be built faster ;)

  regards,
--
  Ricardo Mones
  ~