Re: Lintian error binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath

On Tue, Oct 11, 2005 at 09:52:51PM +0200, Michael Hanke wrote:
> I'm packaging kbibtex which is a KDE bibtex editor. Lintian reports the
> following error for the package:

> W: kbibtex: binary-or-shlib-defines-rpath
> ./usr/lib/kde3/libkbibtexpart.so /usr/lib
That's totally unnecessary, anyway.. why would /usr/lib/ ever need to
be in an rpath??

> The argument --disable-rpath does not have the promised consequence -
> lintian still reports the error.
Bug..  What is the gcc line that adds rpath?

And, what does rpath get used for?  Your package creates libraries?
Are the libraries to be used for any other program (now or in the
future?).  See my recent email to -mentors and -devel, the apparent
conclusion of which was that rpath is "okay" for libraries that are
private to a given package.

> Does someone have an idea what I'm doing wrong?
You can always call configure yourself; make, too, even.  (As a
temporary workaround).  There's also an rpath hacker program for
Debian; as a temporary workaround, you could build-depend on that,
too.

--
Clear skies,
Justin