Re: Putting accented characters in manpages?

Norbert Preining wrote:
> On Don, 06 Okt 2005, Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > > So, I guess that's not only me that would benefit from some light from
> > > people from debian-mentors on what is the best-current-practice on
> > > getting accented characters on manpages.
> >
> > Basically, until UTF8 support is fully deployed for manpages (it isn't right
> > now AFAIK), you have to refrain from using non-ASCII.
>
> Well if the Name of the author contains latin1 characters, I would
> suggest to include the letters. Otherwise it is just plain wrong.
>
> Simple example: How to mention
> 	Frank Küster
>
> No, he is not called "Kuster", nor "Kuester", ...

Since the umlaut originated as shorthand for a following e, it seems
to me that Kuester is a valid (if archaic) spelling.

I seem to remember that Branden's talk at Debconf, "WTFM: Write The
Fine Manual", included some mention of non-ASCII characters near the
end.  It might be worth a look.

--
Ben Hutchings
All extremists should be taken out and shot.