Re: diff.gz contains more than just debian directory

On Thu, Sep 22, 2005 at 08:51:44PM +0200, Vedran Fura? wrote:
> Is it OK to have more than debian directory (and files under it) in
> package_version-rev.diff.gz? I have a lot of other diffs outside debian/
> (in aclocal.m4, Makefile.in,...). The problem is that after I run
> ./configure and then make distclean, I don't have the same directory (as
> it was before ./configure). Can I ignore this?

It is no problem to have changes outside the debian/ directory, if they are
really changes you want to make (in which case you will often want to send
them upstream as well, for inclusion in a future version).  However, files
generated during the build should be removed in the clean target of
debian/rules.  It does not matter if they were present in the original
tarball.  The important part is:

- It's best if the diff.gz is readable.  That means you should avoid getting
  generated stuff from autotools in it.  Remove it instead during clean, that
  will make sure it will be ignored for the diff.
- running debian/rules clean (as (fake)root) should always return the package
  to a state where running debian/rules binary can handle it again.  This must
  be true even if a previous clean or build was aborted.

Thanks,
Bas