Re: packet versions

On Tue, Sep 20, 2005 at 02:40:19PM +0200, Roland Pontes wrote:
>    a question about numbering my packet versions.
>    i have an own apt-server for my own enviroment. i want to modify openvpn
>    and several other packages (openvpn_2.0-1_i386.deb ....).
>    is there a guideline for numbering my new openvpn packages and so on.
>    (it's only for me)
>    or can i version the packages, how i want?

I doubt there is some official guideline, so the short answer is you can
version them as you want.

However consider that some packages can depend on particular version of
other packages. Thus changing version from 2.0-1 to 1.0my_package-1 could
break something which depends on let's say version >> 1.5.

I would use versioning scheme similar to that used on backports.org.

2.0-1 -> 2.0-1.my.1.

But, new version (2.0-2) will overwrite your package.
You can however put your package on hold, and if new version appears
recompile it again.

regards
fEnIo
--
  ,''`.  Bartosz Fenski | mailto:fenio@debian.org | pgp:0x13fefc40 | irc:fEnIo
 : :' :       32-050 Skawina - Glowackiego 3/15 - w. malopolskie - Poland