Re: packages size versus files under dpkg control

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 05:30:30PM +0000, Thaddeus H. Black wrote:
> W. Borgert wrote:
> > Back to your question: I personally hate files that are not
> > under dpkg control, because you cannot check using debsums,
> > dpkg -L, dpkg -S, etc.
>
> This raises a topic I do not understand very well.
> Since we are already on the topic, may I ask for further
> advice?
>
> Suppose that I maintained a package foo.  Foo must
> autogenerate a permanent file during postinst (for
> example, "foo-manual.ps", too big to include prebuilt in
> the binary package).  Because W.B. and I hate files that
> are not under dpkg control, I want to store this file
> under /var/lib/foo/, symbolically linking thereto from
> an appropriate point in /usr/.  However, FHS does not
> seem to recommend such usage.  If /var/lib/foo/ is not
> the right place, then is there a proper canonical place
> in the filesystem for permanent, postinst-generated
> files under postinst/prerm control rather than dpkg
> control?
>
> Somehow, storing such files outside /var/ bothers me.
> Maybe it should not bother me.  I don't know.  If it
> should not, then please help me to see the light, so to
> speak.
>
> I see nothing in Policy 6, Policy 10, or FHS which
> answers the question, so either I am just not seeing it
> or I am looking in the wrong place.  If W.B. or others
> wish to comment, I would be interested in what they had
> to say, because I am considering a future package which
> would pose exactly this kind of problem.  Thanks.

Would there be a problem with shipping the package with a file of the
same name and size 0, then have the postinst generate the file and
replace the empty file with the new file?  That also helps keeps things
consistent as dpkg will automatically remove the generated file on
package removal or purge.

-Roberto

--
Roberto C. Sanchez