Re: uscan, get-orig-source, and making upstream tarball DFSG-free

On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 10:50:00AM +0300, George Danchev wrote:
> On Thursday 15 September 2005 05:44, Justin Pryzby wrote:
> > On Thu, Sep 15, 2005 at 01:43:10AM +0200, Nicolas Boullis wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > >
> > > [ Hmmm, looks like my mailer ate my message... :-( ]
> > >
> > > For a package of mine, I need to remove a non-free file from every
> > > upstream tarball. Doing it by hand is certainly suboptimal, and I
> > > might forget to do it.
> > >
> > > I thought about using uscan, with a hand-made script instead of the
> > > common uupdate. But that script would be local to the package, and kept
> > > in the diff.gz part of the source package. Hence, it is not executable
> > > in a freshly-unpacked source package, which means I probably can't use
> > > this solution. Am I missing something? Is there a workaround?
> > >
> > > I also thought about using the get-orig-source target of debian/rules to
> > > get the newest upstream tarball and cut it down. But as far as I can
> > > see, this target looks quite redundant with debian/watch. Are they
> > > supposed to interoperate in some way? Is there anyone who actually uses
> > > this target?
> >
> > What I did, in an unofficial package, is to include a
> > debian/rules:get-orig-source target which simply calls a script,
> > created in ./debian/ by the .diff.gz.  A prerequisite for that rule is
> > "permissions", which chmod 755 all the scripts that rules calls.  My
> > repack script just wgets a statically named file (suboptimal), unpacks
>
> How do you ensure that the builders of that source package wont get a changed
> file with the same name or that the download will complete before the build
> get started ? See #325161. Yes, I know that the patch is rather incomplete.
I don't, though its an interesting idea.  If it were important to me,
then I would probably call md5sum (in essential package: coreutils) on
the downloaded files (in a for loop, if there were that many..), and
compare with the md5sums in a bash array (or perl if it was really
sophisticated..).

--
Clear skies,
Justin