Re: uscan, get-orig-source, and making upstream tarball DFSG-free

Hi,

[ Hmmm, looks like my mailer ate my message... :-( ]

For a package of mine, I need to remove a non-free file from every
upstream tarball. Doing it by hand is certainly suboptimal, and I
might forget to do it.

I thought about using uscan, with a hand-made script instead of the
common uupdate. But that script would be local to the package, and kept
in the diff.gz part of the source package. Hence, it is not executable
in a freshly-unpacked source package, which means I probably can't use
this solution. Am I missing something? Is there a workaround?

I also thought about using the get-orig-source target of debian/rules to
get the newest upstream tarball and cut it down. But as far as I can
see, this target looks quite redundant with debian/watch. Are they
supposed to interoperate in some way? Is there anyone who actually uses
this target?

Thanks in advance,

Nicolas