Re: Renaming the package and other things

On Sun, Sep 11, 2005 at 10:31:06PM -0300, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I am maintaining a package called mozilla-firefox-biofox.
> Both ths source and the binary package have the same name. Biofox was
> always released only to Mozilla Firefox and the Mozilla Suite was not
> supported. However, upstream author changed this now. Biofox supports
> both navigators.
>
> I am planning to rename the source package to "biofox" only, instead
> mozilla-firefox-biofox.
> May I do this? How can I do this? Is it there some policy saying about
> renaming a source package?
Yes; its going to be a new package, that has to go through the NEW
queue (right?)  Its going to happen to be from the same upstream
project as a soon-to-be old and removed package, though.

I think the recommendation is, in this type of case, to preserve the
changelog in the new package, so you could have an entry such as:

 * Rename source to "biofox".

> Right. Second problem now.
> If I create two binary packages, one mozilla-firefox and another
Huh?  Surely that name is a mistake?  :)  mozilla-biobar?

> mozilla-firefox-biobar, basically they will have the same files.
> If I create only one package (maybe named "biofox" only), this package
> will depends on mozilla | mozilla-firefox and I will put the files
> inside Firefox dir, for example, and create links on Mozilla dir,
> pointing to the files on the Firefox dir (to avoid duplicated files).
Can't you just have a symlink pointing to a directory, instead of a
real directory filled with a symlink farm?

> Create 2 binary packages or just one, as I said?
Just one, I think, because otherwise there are duplicate files in
different packages, which smells bad, and there's the overhead of one
more package.

> If the one package only is the best thing to do, I must put a Replaces,
> Conflicts and Provides, like this?
>
> Replaces: mozilla-firefox-biofox
> Conflicts: mozilla-firefox-biofox
> Provides: mozilla-firefox-biofox
Yes, I think.  It is late, though, so I had to look it up...

--
Clear skies,
Justin