Re: sponsors.debian.net beta

On 17-Aug-2005, Neil McGovern wrote:
> http://sponsors.debian.net is now around 90% finished, so I'm looking
> for people to try and break it :)

Thanks very much for this. It's great to see so many useful services
cropping up to help prospective package managers, and it's even better
that they're complementary. Great stuff.

> So, please pop along and register.

I'd love to. It doesn't like my email address though.

This has happened at at least a dozen sites recently. I'm getting
really sick of this. Is everyone using the same frigging regex to
"validate" email addresses? Well, whatever the cause, it's *wrong*.
Please stop "validating" email addresses against a regex.

The correct way is to use whatever email address the user gives, and
then attempt to send an email to that address. If that fails, then you
have a much better indication of an invalid email address, because the
MTA -- which knows much more about valid email addresses than your
half-arsed regex -- has tried and failed, which is the only time it's
"invalid".

Phew.

--
 \     "Having sex with Rachel is like going to a concert. She yells a |
  `\      lot, and throws frisbees around the room; and when she wants |