Adding own Software?

Hello!

During my PhD thesis I started to develop a program to calculate the isotopic distribution of a molecule. AFAIK there is no program within debian to do this. Therefore I would like to contribute this program to debian. I'm not sure what you think about people contributing their own software or about such a program which is only of use for a small group of users. So would it make sense to contribute a debian package and if yes how to proceed best?

Regards
Dirk