Re: question about increasing versionnumbers

Bastian Venthur wrote:
> What is the best practice, when making small changes to the package like
> fixing typos and stuff? Should I stick to my "initial release" or should i
> alter the Versionnumber everytime I make change?

Never assign the same version number to two different versions that you
publish.  That is, the first time you upload a particular version (to
Debian or to a web page that you have advertised), that version number
is permanently used and any further changes should get another version
number.  On the other hand, as long as a version is not public, you can
change it at will.

This principle is the same regardless of what kind of changes you make.

> And the next question in a bigger context: What if a new upstream comes out
> while my package is not sponsored? Should I pretend to maintain a real
> package and alter the changelog and stuff or should the last package which
> is not part of debian always be the "initial release"?

That is a matter of style.  As long as the package is non-public, you
can call it the "initial release".  If you have published it, any
further changes (like upgrading to a new upstream release) should get
their own version numbers, and the old versions should be kept in the
changelog.  Your initial Debian release should mention it is the initial
Debian release, but it need not be the first version documented in the
changelog.

--
Antti-Juhani