Re: Advice on dpatch vs post-patching?

On Mon, Jul 11, 2005 at 03:11:51AM -0400, Decklin Foster wrote:
> Paul TBBle Hampson writes:

>> And this means that if upstream changes, the dpatch breaks and I
>> _notice_ that it's happened.

> I think this is a clear argument for going with dpatch. It is also much
> easier for someone else (say you go on vacation and an NMU is necessary,
> or a user wants to help by including a patch with their bug report) to
> read the intent of your changes if they are a unified diff, rather than
> a sed script. The latter format is not generally solicited by
> free-software projects for general bug fixes. :-)

The thing is, the sed scripts are for editing the config files, so that
I get /var/run/freeradius instead of /var/run/radius for example. As an
upstream developer, this all goes into the upstream CVS anyway under the
debian/ directory.

However, I think I will go with dpatch, although I need to check as I
may be seding against generated files rather than the original original
source files... (I inherited this code with the package. ^_^)

(Sorry for the very late followup, I forgot to mark debian-mentors as a
incoming mailbox... I just converted to Maildir and discovered a month's
new mail waiting for me. ^_^)

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/