Re: howto get rid of native-package-with-dash-version?
- To: Bastian Venthur <email@example.com>
- Cc: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Subject: Re: howto get rid of native-package-with-dash-version?
- From: Carlo Segre <email@example.com>
- Date: Thu, 4 Aug 2005 16:00:29 -0500 (CDT)
- Message-id: <Pine.LNX.firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Reply-to: Carlo Segre <email@example.com>
- In-reply-to: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- References: <email@example.com>
I believe that this happens when dpkg-buildpackage cannot find an
appropriately names original tarball. It then assumes that the package is
a native Debian package which should not have a revision number by policy.
This is usually dealt with by specifing the source tarball when running
dh_make. In this case, you don't have a *.tar.gz source but a *.zip so
you will probably just have to take the contents of the original
tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.zip file and make a
tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.tar.gz out of it or better yet simply name it
tvbrowser_1.1+cvs20050622.orig.tar.gz. If you choose the former, then
make a symbolic link
tvbrowser_1.1+cvs20050622.orig.tar.gz --> tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.tar.gz
When dpkg-buildpackage runs, it will find the *.orig.tar.gz file and not
make it a native package.
There might be better ways but this is what I do.
If it were me, I would also make a script which converts a new *.zip
version to the appropriate *.orig.tar.gz to simplify the process when a
new upstream source comes out.
On Thu, 4 Aug 2005, Bastian Venthur wrote:
I'm packing my first debian-package from scratch and have nearly eliminated
all lintian- and linda- warnings/errors. All but one and I have absolutely
no idea how to fix it.
When building the package lintian says: native-package-with-dash-version
I've googled around but I'm still not sure what actually the problem is.
Maybe someone can guess the problem, when I try to bring all relavant
(1) I've downloaded a sourcefile named "tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2_cvs.zip"
(2) After unzipping it, I had a directory named "tvbrowser_v1.1Alpha2" which
is of course not acceptable for dh_make.
(3) So i renamed the dir to "tvbrowser-1.1+cvs20050622"
When i debuild the package, the following files are created:
Can somebody give me a hint which step was wrong or where to fix this
Thanks in advance and kind regards
Carlo U. Segre -- Professor of Physics
Associate Dean for Special Projects, Graduate College
Illinois Institute of Technology
Voice: 312.567.3498 Fax: 312.567.3494