Program source including another program source

Hi!

Sorry if the email title is a little confusing, but I couldn't find a
better title to explain this.

When the source code of a program comes with another program inside, and
this program is outdated (this program is also released as a tar.gz file
and updated), what is the correct to do? I want to maintain packages of
both programs and one doesn't depend on the other. Should I remove the
directory that contains the source of the other program and repack the
source?
For example. foo and bar are two programs. Both have a source code
foo.tar.gz and bar.tar.gz but inside foo.tar.gz there is a directory
bar, containing an outdated version of bar's source code.
And foo doesn't need bar.

I started to discuss this on #debian-mentors, but I had to quit.

Do I need to remove the outdated bar/ or I can let it there?

Thank you very much!

Nelson