Advice on dpatch vs post-patching?

Basically, I've just converted FreeRADIUS to use dpatch, and that's working
nicely.

However, the current debian/rules files does a whole bunch of seding against
the configuration files after they've been processed by configure and friends.

I'm not sure if I should convert these sed calls into dpatches against the
source files... (eg. against Make.inc.in, and radius.conf.in)

The advantage of the sed file stuff is it's more resiliant to upstream changes.
I'm not sure that's a good thing though, I'd like to notice during package
build when something's changed interestingly.

The advantage of changing to dpatch is that after debian/rules patch is run,
you end up with the complete and accurate source tree, in case you're trying to
debug a problem. And this means that if upstream changes, the dpatch breaks and
I _notice_ that it's happened.

At this point I'm leaning towards converting sed to dpatch... Any thoughts from
others would be appreciated though.

Paul "TBBle" Hampson, MCSE
Paul.Hampson@Anu.edu.au

"No survivors? Then where do the stories come from I wonder?"
-- Capt. Jack Sparrow, "Pirates of the Caribbean"

License: http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/2.1/au/