Re: -dev library package naming

On 14.06.2005, at 14:47, martin f krafft wrote:
Do you have a pointer to the discussion?

Just looking it up in the old thread "Library package naming" I saw that you told me not to use -release at all when packaging a shared library. But yes, the naming of the dev package is not explicitly mentioned. But well, other packages should build-depend on the API and depend on the ABI. The API is specified by the -release flag and the ABI by the SONAME. So it is IMO sane to name it libpkg-1.0-dev, so if there is a new 2.0 API which breaks much of the backwards- compatibility older software could still be built when a new package is uploaded for libpkg-2.0-dev.

Just my few cents,
Philipp Kern