Re: How do I specify a particular version intelligently?

"Roberto C. Sanchez" <roberto@familiasanchez.net> writes:
> I just had a grave bug filed against my releaseforge package.
> I have traced the fault to an issue with the version of
> pyqt-tools.  If the package is compiled with the version
> of pyqt-tools in sarge (3.13), it needs to run against
> python-qt3 version 3.13.  However, if it is compiled against
> pyqt-tools from Sid (3.14), it needs the corresponding
> python-qt3.  What is the correct way to specify the depends
> and build depends?

If it compiles with *all* versions of python-qt3, you should use an
unversioned build-dependency. In that case you only need to get the
binary dependency right, which is pretty easy if you use something like
"Depends: python-qt3 (= ${python-qt3:Version})".
You then only need to get the version number of the python lib you used
to build the package (either with some package-specific tool or dpkg -l)
and add a "python-qt3:Version=1.2.3" to debian/substvars.

Marc
--
BOFH #179:
multicasts on broken packets