Upstream source and Debian package source

On 12-May-2005, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> Someone may say that there is no .orig file. That's because upstream
> author gives me access to project CVS. He preferred that, instead of
> removing the /debian dir from the source code. He has his reasons to
> maintain /debian dir, even after I have talked to him and explained
> about distributing /debian dir on source code.

You still need to differentiate between what you get from the upstream
package source (the foo.orig.tar.gz file) and your own changes as
package maintainer (the foo.diff.gz file). The only common exception
is for a package written natively for Debian, i.e. with no upstream
source.

Package the upstream package source as the foo.orig.tar.gz, and use
dpkg-source -b to make the foo.dsc and foo.diff.gz files from the orig
and your package source.

    <URL:http://www.debian.org/doc/developers-reference/ch-best-pkging-practices.en.html#s-bpp-origtargz>

--
 \       "I love to go down to the schoolyard and watch all the little |
  `\   children jump up and down and run around yelling and screaming. |