Re: Problem with a package running "configure"

On 11-May-2005, Nelson A. de Oliveira wrote:
> I am having a problem... When running "./configure" on a dir with the
> source of a program, it reads 3 files inside the dir "autoconf/make":
>
> depend.mk~
> filelist.mk~
> modules.mk~

Why are they named this way? A filename with a trailing tilde ('~') is
a common convention for a temporary backup file that can be deleted.

> The 3 files ending in ~ are deleted (I don't know why).

It's quite common for many utilities to assume that filenames with a
trailing tilde are junk (e.g. from previous editing sessions) and
clean them up.

I don't know which tool in particular is doing this, but I highly
advise that you don't use that naming scheme for non-junk files
because of the existing convention.

--
 \      "Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do |
  `\                       so too."  -- Voltaire, _Essay On Tolerance_ |