About the usage of cdbs

Hi,

I had a first look at cdbs and it looks quite neat, but, from the documentation, I don't understand how I am supposed to start packaging:
1. from scratch (possibly starting from an existing package using cdbs)
2. or using dh_make, and then cdbs'itting it.
(the rules file is actually not the problem, given the examples, but all the others are)

Also, I understand that if I start using cdbs, I loose the auto-patching functionality of dpkg-buildpackage (i.e. I don't need to care about creating patches, the .diff.gz is done for me). Is it correct? And if yes, is there a best practice to create the different .patch files in the easiest way?

Thanks, Eric

--
Gewalt ist die letzte Zuflucht der Inkompetenz.
    Violence is the Last Resort of the Incompetent.